|Yona Metzger - Alleged Sex Offender|
Rabbi Yona Metzger allegedly sexually assaulted four men of various ages. According to various Israeli newspapers Rabbi Metzger touched and fondled four men starting in 1998. Rabbi Metzger denied the charges, but two of the accusers passed polygraph tests that Ma'ariv had requested. Metzger said the allegations are part of a political campaign by rivals to discredit him.
- Rabbi Yona Mezger - brief biographical data and books he wrote - in hebrew
- Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi Yona Metzger - In Hebrew (04/25/2003)
- Chief Rabbi accused of sexually harassing 4 males (04/25/2003)
- Chief rabbi in molest rap (04/25/2003)
- Metzger accused of sexual harassment (04/27/2003)
- Chief Rabbi Story - In Hebrew
- Attorney General Not Dealing With Allegations Against Chief Rabbi Metzger (04/27/2003)
- Metzger accused of sexual harassment (04/27/2003)
- Accountant petitions court against Metzger's appointment (04/28/2003)
- Chief rabbi appointment challenged (04/28/2003)
- Naming of Metzger to chief rabbi post challenged in court (04/28/2003)
- High Court to hear petition seeking Metzger's ouster (05/01/2003)
- Rabbinical rates (05/02/2003)
- Questionably kosher (05/02/2003)
- Sex Abuse On The Radar (05/07/2003)
- New chief rabbi's lawyer asks court to throw out petition (05/11/2003)
- News in Brief - PM paving way for one chief rabbi (05/12/2003)
- A-G asks Katsav to postpone Metzger's official nomination (05/12/2003)
- Chief Rabbinate Under Cloud As Police Question a 2nd Rabbi (05/13/2003)
- Attorney General asks court to reject petition against appointment of Ashkenazi chief rabbi (05/14/2003)
- Rabbi Yona Metzger on Child Abuse and The Case of Rabbi Elior Chen (04/09/2008)
- Metzger, Shas' Amar elected to chief rabbinical posts (04/14/2003)
- Meimad rabbi: Election of Metzger may endanger rabbinate (04/15/2003)
- Analysis / The most inexperienced rabbi of all (04/15/2003)
- Metzger and Amar elected as new chief rabbis (04/15/2003)
- Bakshi-Doron: I never dreamt Metzger had such `chutzpah' (04/28/2003)
Chief rabbi in molest rap
The new chief Ashkenazi rabbi of Israel allegedly sexually assaulted four men of various ages, an Israeli newspaper said. The Israeli daily Ma'ariv said Yona Metzger touched and fondled four men starting in 1998, according to the daily Ha'aretz. Metzger denied the charges, but two of the accusers passed polygraph tests that Ma'ariv had requested. Metzger said theallegations are part of a political campaign by rivals to discredit him.
Story Behind His Election
Analysis / The most inexperienced rabbi of all
Bakshi-Doron: I never dreamt Metzger had such `chutzpah'
Rabbi Yona Metzger on Child Abuse and The Case of Rabbi Elior Chen
by Vicki Polin, MA, NCC, LCPC, Executive Director
The Awareness Center's Daily Newsletter - April 8, 2008
It seems strange that Rabbi Yona Metzger would be making the following statement, especially since he was accused of sexual misconduct/clergy sexual abuse (with four men) several years ago.
I strongly disagree with the statement Rabbi Metzger made regarding excommunicating the parents of the children who were so horrendously abused. Even though the actions came from their own hands, I believe that they were being manipulated and were acting under the explicit directions of their spiritual leader/cult leader, Rabbi Elior Chen.
Many individuals who get involved with cults, often have histories of child abuse and or neglect. From past experience in working with ex-cult members, I found that women who have left abusive relationships are also more susceptible to getting involved in cult like groups.
The basic issue is that adult survivors of child abuse (emotional, physical and sexual abuse) and those battered as adults are looking for unconditional love. What happens is they get manipulated in believing that their leader represents "the truth." They no longer are able to access their ability to use deductive reasoning / critical thinking.
Though I do believe these parents should no longer have custody of their children, I do not believe that we should make blanket statements stating they should all be excommunicated. We need to look at each situation on a case by case basis. I also have mixed feelings about the parents and the criminal cases that will be brought up against them. If these parents were unable to access their critical thinking, would they then be considered mentally ill? Were they at the time of each act unable to discern right from wrong? I'm not trying to make excuses for their behavior, it's just that I think there is much more to the story then what we are reading in the newspapers. The parents psychiatric help and exit counseling. This can occur either in a prison or a psychiatric facility. I believe that the parents are most likely individuals who most likely have the potential for rehabilitation.
I do not believe this is true when talking about Rabbi Elior Chen. I do agree with Rabbi Metzger that Chen should loose his rabbinical title and believe he should spend the rest of his life in a prison. I do not believe he will ever be safe to be out with the rest of our society.
Below is the article that was in the Jerusalem Post, below that is information on Destructive Cults.
Following a spate of allegations of child abuse in the religious community, Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi Yona Metger called on rabbis to "unhesitatingly renounce" such violent acts.
In a statement released Tuesday night, Metzger said that abusive parents and rabbis must be "condemned" and "excommunicated."
He told community rabbis to express their disapproval and the disapproval of the Torah for such "acts of brutality."