Upper Park Heights, MD
Young, who had no previous offenses and pleaded not guilty, hit Esther on the head with a hammer and dumped her body on the side of a road, throwing her book bag in a dumpster, according to The Sun at that time. The Baltimore Sun also reported that Esther was raped, a claim that Young was not charged with and continues to deny.
- Missing Baltimore Girl Is Found Slain, Beaten Lebowitz Child's Body Is Discovered About A Half-Mile From Her Home (10/02/1969)
- Store Owner Is Held In Lebowitz Murder (10/03/1969)
- Suspect Indicted in Girl's Murder - Hearing For Young Delayed In Lebowitz Case (10/04/1969)
- Girl Found Dead; Man Is Held (10/05/1969)
- Attorney Named in Lebowitz Case (10/07/1969)
- Young Submits Innocent Plea (10/09/1969)
- Sanity Attested In Murder Case (05/01/1970)
- Mother Called Murder 'VICTIM' (05/01/1970)
- Doctor Says Young Was Insane (05/05/1970)
- Young Guilty of Murder in First Degree (05/06/1970)
- Young Gets Life For Killing Girl (11/13/1970)
- Wayne Stephen Young v. State of Maryland (03/02/1972)
- Lawsuit while incarcerated (03/08/1978)
- Parole Hearing for Wayne S. Young (01/07/2006)
- Just 3 minutes of your time and sending out a local fax will hopefully help keep a convicted murderer in jail! (01/07/2006)
- URGENT: Fax needed to the Maryland Parole Board - In the memory of Esther Lebowitz (01/08/2006)
- Maryland Department of Corrections - Inmate Locator (01/08/2006)
- Bais Yaakov Girl's Killer Denied Parole (01/13/2006)
- '69 murder still rattles community - Killer of young Esther Lebowitz denied parole (01/19/2006)
- Inmate Locator - Maryland Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services
Missing Baltimore Girl Is Found Slain, Beaten Lebowitz Child's Body Is Discovered About A Half-Mile From Her Home
Baltimore Sun - October 2, 1969
Esther Lebowitz, an 11-year-old Northwest Baltimore girl who vanished on her way home from school Monday afternoon, was found dead yesterday morning little more than half a mile from her home.
Store Owner Is Held In Lebowitz Murder
Aquarium Shop Worker Is Stale Witness In Homicide And Rape Of Girl, 11
Baltimore Sun - October 3, 1969
The owner of a Park Heights avenue tropical fish store was charged yesterday with the homicide and rape of 11-year-old Esther Lebowitz.
SUSPECT INDICTED IN GIRL'S MURDER - Hearing For Young Delayed In Lebowitz Case
By Theodore W. Hendricks
Baltimore Sun - October 4, 1969
Wayne Stephen Young, 23-year-old owner of a tropical fish store, was indicted by the grand jury yesterday for the first-degree murder of Esther Lebowitz.
Girl Found Dead; Man Is Held
Baltimore Sun - October 5, 1969
The owner of a Park Heights avenue tropical fish store was charged Thursday with the homicide and rape of 11-year-old Esther Lebowitz.
Attorney Named in Lebowitz Case - Arraignment Is Put Off A 2d Time In Child's Slaying
Baltimore Sun - October 7, 1969
The Criminal Court appointed a lawyer yesterday to represent the accused murderer of 11year-old Esther Lebowitz after the defendant's arraignment was postponed for the second time for lack of defense counsel.
Young Submits Innocent Plea - Alleged Killer Of Lebowitz Girl Claims Insanity
Baltimore Sun - October 9, 1969
Wayne Stephen Young pleaded innocent by reason of insanity at his arraignment yesterday in Criminal Court on charges of murder and rape in the fatal bludgeoning last week of 11- year-old Esther Lebowitz.
Sanity Attested In Murder Case
Baltimore Sun - May 1, 1970
Mother Called Murder 'VICTIM'
By George J. Hiltner
Baltimore Sun - May 2, 1970
A 24-year-old tropical-fish store operator "was trying to destroy his mother" when he fatally bludgeoned an 11-year-old girl, a psychiatrist called as a defense witness testified yesterday in Criminal Court.
Doctor Says Young Was Insane
Baltimore Sun - May 5, 1970
The chief medical officer of the Supreme Bench of Baltimore testified yesterday that Wayne Stephen Young was "temporarily insane" when he allegedly bludgeoned 11-year-old Esther Lebowitz to death last year.
Young Guilty of Murder in First Degree
By George J. Hiltner
Baltimore Sun - May 6, 1970
A Criminal Court jury which deliberated less than 30 minutes yesterday convicted a 24-yearold tropical fish store operator of first-degree murder of an 11year-old school girl after ruling that he was legally sane.
Baltimore Sun - November 13, 1970
Wayne Stephen Young, a 24year-old tropical fish store proprietor, was sentenced to life imprisonment yesterday for the murder of Esther Lebowitz, 11.
Parole Hearing for Wayne S. Young
'69 murder still rattles community - Killer of young Esther Lebowitz denied parole
Maryland Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services
November 16, 2012